Skip to main content

Two weeks since.....

It's been two weeks since I had the stem cell injections. Today is the first day for me to start the exercises recommended by the Kinesiologist, perhaps a better description would be stretches. Until today it was recommended that I carry no weight and my only form of exercise was to walk and to walk daily.

Back to the stretches, there are 16 different ones. To do all of them in one sitting it would take more than an hour. Most of them are required twice a day. Luckily there are five stretches that are only once daily; but saying that... they are 3 sets of 20 repetitions on each side. A couple stretches are every other day. So.... at least two hours of exercises per day, as well as walking of at least 6000 steps a day. This is more than I can do if I have any other tasks to do beyond going to work.

I'm so pleased with the result of the stem cell injections so far. No pain in my ankle or right knees at all. My hips still have some pain but significantly less. My left knee was the most damaged and I still have pain and limited mobility - but - it is so much better that I am the most excited about it. I can bend it much further than I have for a very long time. It is not as swollen. I can lift my left leg into the car without lifting it with my hand.

I  will work on my exercises and gradually increase my reps. I did do all of them this first morning but not as many reps as required. I returned to work this week and am walking to work when I can. I'm committed to doing what is necessary to get as healthy as possible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The procedure

My appointment is at 9:30. I went to the same location as the previous day and was told to go to bay one, just a couple doors down the small mall. The door at bay one lists five the doctors names and the Kinesiologist. I got there at 9am and was taken into a treatment room almost immediately. In my brief time in the waiting room another couple emerged from a treatment room. The man was moving around, pacing and making statements about being stiff. I said "you are making me nervous I didn't think the stiffness was to occur for a few days ". He responded that it wasn't bad, but he had five joints done - and didn't take any laughing gas. He had a 9 hour drive ahead of him. In the treatment room the RN Linda took my vitals signs and explained what would be happening this morning. She answered all the questions I had. Linda was very warm and friendly and it was easy to share all my concerns.  She indicated that the pain usually is not too great for most people b...

Capri Clinic day one

May 23rd. My friend Sharon agreed to drive me to my appointments.  We travelled on Monday to her sister's home in Beaumont, Alberta. We stayed overnight and left for LaCombe in the morning as my appointment was scheduled for 11:30am. We found the clinic after we drove by it a couple times. Shortly after 12noon I met Dr. David Playfair. He reviewed my xrays with me asked me some questions about my pain. He appeared interested in the  soft lumps on my ankles. He asked about previous xrays and treatments I had. (None). He suggested that it might be something called Sinus  Tarsi Sinus tarsi syndrome (STS)  is the clinical syndrome of pain and tenderness of the lateral side of the hindfoot, between the ankle and the heel. Imaging often demonstrates the ligaments and soft tissues in the  sinus tarsi  are injured. He injected a freezing agent into the lump on my left ankle and told me to do some walking today. If less pain occurs the it may be Sinus Tarsi...

Radial Shockwave Therapy

I scheduled an appointment with the Chiropractor whom my doctor had told me had the Radial Shockwave machine. This is my Chiropractor whom I've been seeing for more than 20 years. My family consider him a friend and trust his opinion in all medical matters. Dr. Henbid indicated the Physiotherapist in his office does the Shockwave treatment. He gave me a thorough chiropractic session and also looked up my x-ray of my right foot. He described the heel spur as a "doosey". Although this may not have been the most medical way of explaining it, it did make me feel better as now did not feel that I was exaggerating my pain. I later arranged to get a copy of this x-ray to take it to my Podiatrist. The following week, I made an appointment to see the PhysioTherapist, Pat Irwin, for my first Shockwave Treatment and was told not to use any anti-inflammatory agents for 48hrs prior to my appointment. The machine they have is the Storz Medical Masterplus MP100. The handout...