Skip to main content

First week

First week over. After the first three days of rest and doing very little, I began to walk. Given I'm out of shape and walking usually causes too much aching, I started off slow. My target was 3000 steps a day. I was successful in achieving this and some days did more. I attempted to walk around the block in the morning, afternoon and evening. Luckily the weather cooperated with me. I took this week off of work which allowed me to do short periods of walking easier.

I have no pain in my ankle or right knee. Both my hips have some pain but no aches. I have woke up at night and realized I'm sleeping on my side. Previously it hurt to even roll over. For a long time my sleeping has been troublesome.  Sleeping on my sides caused my hips to hurt. Sleeping on my stomach hurts my back. Sleeping on my back required a pillow under my left lnee as I couldn't straighten out my leg without pain.

My left knee can bend further than it has for years. It doesn't ache. However, I feel and hear the clunking in the knee. At times it feels unstable if  the ground is not perfectly level. I'm wondering if some of the inflammation wasn't providing some stability for the knee. I recognize that the left knee had severe degeneration in all three compartments, a bakers cyst and the bone below the knee has also been damaged. I don't believe stem cell regeneration can fix this but - so far- it appears I will be able to delay a knee replacement and be able to do things without great pain. As well, with the right knee, ankle and hips in better shape, recovery from a knee replacement should be easier.  With time I will have a better understanding if this assumption is correct.

Next week, at the two week mark I begin my exercises.  Until then I will attempt to increase my walking steps to 6000 a day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shockwave Treatments

I have had great successes with what may be considered non-traditional medical treatments. I was disappointed after my first shockwave treatment that I did not feel any benefit - even though I fully understood that usually one treatment is not enough. I had a second treatment and then a third. After the third I had to wait for three weeks before a subsequent treatment could occur. After the second treatment, I had no pain one morning, but this lasted only a brief time - by noon, everything felt the same. However, after the third treatment, both feet were very sore - much sorer than normal. This I was not expecting!!!!! I feel that this extra pain lasted for approximately 10 days, and then everything was back to the normal level of pain. During this time, I had an appointment with Dr. Gurgal - Podiatrist and shared with him my frustrations. It is already May - both feet have been hurting since October. Sometimes, the pain keeps me up at night - I can't walk any distances, I

The procedure

My appointment is at 9:30. I went to the same location as the previous day and was told to go to bay one, just a couple doors down the small mall. The door at bay one lists five the doctors names and the Kinesiologist. I got there at 9am and was taken into a treatment room almost immediately. In my brief time in the waiting room another couple emerged from a treatment room. The man was moving around, pacing and making statements about being stiff. I said "you are making me nervous I didn't think the stiffness was to occur for a few days ". He responded that it wasn't bad, but he had five joints done - and didn't take any laughing gas. He had a 9 hour drive ahead of him. In the treatment room the RN Linda took my vitals signs and explained what would be happening this morning. She answered all the questions I had. Linda was very warm and friendly and it was easy to share all my concerns.  She indicated that the pain usually is not too great for most people b

Four months

It's been four months since the stem cell injections. I think there is still improvements happening. I still don't have any pain on the top of my left foot or right knee. My pain in my hips has continued to be reduced.  My pain in the left knee is still significantly less than it had been before. I am still leaving my name on the list for a left knee replacement.  But I'm still hoping I can get another couple of years with reduced pain. I did not do well with the excerises- I rarely did them. I'm still attempting to walk as much as possible and never less than 3,000 steps a day ... aiming for 6,000 steps. My mobility has increased, but frustratedly I still have difficulty getting up from the floor. Kneeling hurts my knees. My ankles, and the soles of my feet hurt. Most of the pain in my feet can be alleviated with the use of orthotics. I haven't found a suitable send me as yet so I live in my runners and wear birkenstocks in my house at all times - NO bare fee