Skip to main content

Four months

It's been four months since the stem cell injections. I think there is still improvements happening.

I still don't have any pain on the top of my left foot or right knee. My pain in my hips has continued to be reduced.  My pain in the left knee is still significantly less than it had been before.

I am still leaving my name on the list for a left knee replacement.  But I'm still hoping I can get another couple of years with reduced pain.

I did not do well with the excerises- I rarely did them. I'm still attempting to walk as much as possible and never less than 3,000 steps a day ... aiming for 6,000 steps. My mobility has increased, but frustratedly I still have difficulty getting up from the floor. Kneeling hurts my knees. My ankles, and the soles of my feet hurt. Most of the pain in my feet can be alleviated with the use of orthotics. I haven't found a suitable send me as yet so I live in my runners and wear birkenstocks in my house at all times - NO bare feet for me anymore.

Getting old sucks, and recognizing that some of my aches and pains are from a lifestyle of inactivity and being somewhat overweight is the consequence.

Since my stem cell injections I have only taken anti-inflammatories twice!!!! There has been a few other occasions that I perhaps should have taken a few. Given healing from stem cells can occur for months after the injections, I don't want to do anything that may negatively affect them.

At Capri Clinic they suggested that I consider PRP after 6 months. This is another procedure that is not covered by any insurance. It is less money than stem cells at $500 for an injection. My doctor recently informed me that PRP  is being done in our community and will provide me a referral. I'm thinking I may do it.

Platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections are derived from a sample of the patient’s own blood. These injections contain plasma with higher concentration platelets than what is normally found in blood. PRP injections attempt to take advantage of the blood’s natural healing properties to repair damaged cartilage, tendons, ligaments, muscles, or even bone.

Over all - Was stem cell injection a success for me? Yes. Absolutely!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The procedure

My appointment is at 9:30. I went to the same location as the previous day and was told to go to bay one, just a couple doors down the small mall. The door at bay one lists five the doctors names and the Kinesiologist. I got there at 9am and was taken into a treatment room almost immediately. In my brief time in the waiting room another couple emerged from a treatment room. The man was moving around, pacing and making statements about being stiff. I said "you are making me nervous I didn't think the stiffness was to occur for a few days ". He responded that it wasn't bad, but he had five joints done - and didn't take any laughing gas. He had a 9 hour drive ahead of him. In the treatment room the RN Linda took my vitals signs and explained what would be happening this morning. She answered all the questions I had. Linda was very warm and friendly and it was easy to share all my concerns.  She indicated that the pain usually is not too great for most people b...

Capri Clinic day one

May 23rd. My friend Sharon agreed to drive me to my appointments.  We travelled on Monday to her sister's home in Beaumont, Alberta. We stayed overnight and left for LaCombe in the morning as my appointment was scheduled for 11:30am. We found the clinic after we drove by it a couple times. Shortly after 12noon I met Dr. David Playfair. He reviewed my xrays with me asked me some questions about my pain. He appeared interested in the  soft lumps on my ankles. He asked about previous xrays and treatments I had. (None). He suggested that it might be something called Sinus  Tarsi Sinus tarsi syndrome (STS)  is the clinical syndrome of pain and tenderness of the lateral side of the hindfoot, between the ankle and the heel. Imaging often demonstrates the ligaments and soft tissues in the  sinus tarsi  are injured. He injected a freezing agent into the lump on my left ankle and told me to do some walking today. If less pain occurs the it may be Sinus Tarsi...

Radial Shockwave Therapy

I scheduled an appointment with the Chiropractor whom my doctor had told me had the Radial Shockwave machine. This is my Chiropractor whom I've been seeing for more than 20 years. My family consider him a friend and trust his opinion in all medical matters. Dr. Henbid indicated the Physiotherapist in his office does the Shockwave treatment. He gave me a thorough chiropractic session and also looked up my x-ray of my right foot. He described the heel spur as a "doosey". Although this may not have been the most medical way of explaining it, it did make me feel better as now did not feel that I was exaggerating my pain. I later arranged to get a copy of this x-ray to take it to my Podiatrist. The following week, I made an appointment to see the PhysioTherapist, Pat Irwin, for my first Shockwave Treatment and was told not to use any anti-inflammatory agents for 48hrs prior to my appointment. The machine they have is the Storz Medical Masterplus MP100. The handout...