Skip to main content

Shockwave Treatments

I have had great successes with what may be considered non-traditional medical treatments. I was disappointed after my first shockwave treatment that I did not feel any benefit - even though I fully understood that usually one treatment is not enough.


I had a second treatment and then a third. After the third I had to wait for three weeks before a subsequent treatment could occur. After the second treatment, I had no pain one morning, but this lasted only a brief time - by noon, everything felt the same. However, after the third treatment, both feet were very sore - much sorer than normal. This I was not expecting!!!!! I feel that this extra pain lasted for approximately 10 days, and then everything was back to the normal level of pain.


During this time, I had an appointment with Dr. Gurgal - Podiatrist and shared with him my frustrations. It is already May - both feet have been hurting since October. Sometimes, the pain keeps me up at night - I can't walk any distances, I'm not feeling healthy and not looking forward to this continuing.


It was in February that I got my new orthotics and had two adjustments without improvement. For my third adjustment appointment I took a copy of my x-ray that my chiropractor had printed out for me. I had asked Dr. Gurgal if he had my x-ray on my first appointment - it did not occur to me that he still didn't have it. I'm not sure why my doctor who made the referral to the Podiatrist and ordered the x-rays had not forwarded it on. I'm not sure why the Podiatrist did not request the x-ray when I had asked if he had received it. However - I am a big believer that a person must take control of their own health issues - I should have checked sooner to see if he had received them. When I showed him the x-ray copy I had, Dr. Gurgal appeared shocked and said "now I think I can help you".
Inferior Spur on the right heel
Dr. Gurgal modified the orthotics to make a cup to accommodate the spur in both heels. I discussed with Dr Gurgal my frustrations and asked what else should I be doing.... he responded that I was doing all that he could recommend and encouraged me to be patient. I asked about heel spur surgery, he responded that such surgery's haven't been done since the 1990's.  I did a little research on this and found that generally heel spurs return after they are removed by surgery and then there is the additional issue of scarring.

Hopefully, between the modified orthotics and the Shockwave treatments - something will work. I need to start walking again and become healthy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The procedure

My appointment is at 9:30. I went to the same location as the previous day and was told to go to bay one, just a couple doors down the small mall. The door at bay one lists five the doctors names and the Kinesiologist. I got there at 9am and was taken into a treatment room almost immediately. In my brief time in the waiting room another couple emerged from a treatment room. The man was moving around, pacing and making statements about being stiff. I said "you are making me nervous I didn't think the stiffness was to occur for a few days ". He responded that it wasn't bad, but he had five joints done - and didn't take any laughing gas. He had a 9 hour drive ahead of him. In the treatment room the RN Linda took my vitals signs and explained what would be happening this morning. She answered all the questions I had. Linda was very warm and friendly and it was easy to share all my concerns.  She indicated that the pain usually is not too great for most people b...

Capri Clinic day one

May 23rd. My friend Sharon agreed to drive me to my appointments.  We travelled on Monday to her sister's home in Beaumont, Alberta. We stayed overnight and left for LaCombe in the morning as my appointment was scheduled for 11:30am. We found the clinic after we drove by it a couple times. Shortly after 12noon I met Dr. David Playfair. He reviewed my xrays with me asked me some questions about my pain. He appeared interested in the  soft lumps on my ankles. He asked about previous xrays and treatments I had. (None). He suggested that it might be something called Sinus  Tarsi Sinus tarsi syndrome (STS)  is the clinical syndrome of pain and tenderness of the lateral side of the hindfoot, between the ankle and the heel. Imaging often demonstrates the ligaments and soft tissues in the  sinus tarsi  are injured. He injected a freezing agent into the lump on my left ankle and told me to do some walking today. If less pain occurs the it may be Sinus Tarsi...

Radial Shockwave Therapy

I scheduled an appointment with the Chiropractor whom my doctor had told me had the Radial Shockwave machine. This is my Chiropractor whom I've been seeing for more than 20 years. My family consider him a friend and trust his opinion in all medical matters. Dr. Henbid indicated the Physiotherapist in his office does the Shockwave treatment. He gave me a thorough chiropractic session and also looked up my x-ray of my right foot. He described the heel spur as a "doosey". Although this may not have been the most medical way of explaining it, it did make me feel better as now did not feel that I was exaggerating my pain. I later arranged to get a copy of this x-ray to take it to my Podiatrist. The following week, I made an appointment to see the PhysioTherapist, Pat Irwin, for my first Shockwave Treatment and was told not to use any anti-inflammatory agents for 48hrs prior to my appointment. The machine they have is the Storz Medical Masterplus MP100. The handout...