Skip to main content

First few days

I didn't know what to expect for the first three days. I heard of people having immediate relief. I heard of other having greater inflammation in their joints, sometimes lasting for a few weeks.

Our drive home was 650kms. So with some stops, we left LaCombe, Alberta  just before 11am and got home to Prince Albert,  Saskatchewan at 7pm. As mentioned in the previous blog, I  experienced some pain for which Tylenol was strong enough. However I was slow moving and each step seemed unstable. The first few stops for gas and meals I used my cane. In Battleford we stopped for gas and I didn't use my cane and as I stepped into the store I felt like I staggered and was awarded a strange stare by the gas station attendant.  I'm sure he thought I had been drinking. Sharon's car was very comfortable for travelling. I was able to recline the seat and turn the heated seats on low.

My recovery instructions stressed I am not to use any anti-inflammatory pills or lotion for four weeks. If there is swelling in the joints I can use heat to relieve but not ice.  For the first three days I'm to do very little - a good time to read and Netflix binge. I'm reading The Lilac  Girls by Martha Relly (an amazing book) and watching 13 Reasons Why on Netflix.

My second day I was moving much easier but still slow. The awkwardness I felt the previous day was gone. I was not feeling any pain in the joints (but I'm not using them either). Some tenderness in the injection sites in my knees and hip but it is minimal. I was allowed to take a shower today and removed the few bandages.

Third day. I am moving quicker but not up to my usual gait as yet. I was experiencing some discomfort in my left knee around the knee cap area. Occasionally twinges of pain - and short lived pain - would randomly occur in my knee. No pain in my ankle at all!  During the night I rolled over without any pain in my hips.  I know  it is too early to attribute this to the stem cells as yet, given all I have been doing it resting. My greatest discomfort on day 3 is the itchiness caused by the bandage on my lower back. Small welts developed where it was stuck to my skin. Day 4 I will start walking. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shockwave Treatments

I have had great successes with what may be considered non-traditional medical treatments. I was disappointed after my first shockwave treatment that I did not feel any benefit - even though I fully understood that usually one treatment is not enough. I had a second treatment and then a third. After the third I had to wait for three weeks before a subsequent treatment could occur. After the second treatment, I had no pain one morning, but this lasted only a brief time - by noon, everything felt the same. However, after the third treatment, both feet were very sore - much sorer than normal. This I was not expecting!!!!! I feel that this extra pain lasted for approximately 10 days, and then everything was back to the normal level of pain. During this time, I had an appointment with Dr. Gurgal - Podiatrist and shared with him my frustrations. It is already May - both feet have been hurting since October. Sometimes, the pain keeps me up at night - I can't walk any distances, I

Four months

It's been four months since the stem cell injections. I think there is still improvements happening. I still don't have any pain on the top of my left foot or right knee. My pain in my hips has continued to be reduced.  My pain in the left knee is still significantly less than it had been before. I am still leaving my name on the list for a left knee replacement.  But I'm still hoping I can get another couple of years with reduced pain. I did not do well with the excerises- I rarely did them. I'm still attempting to walk as much as possible and never less than 3,000 steps a day ... aiming for 6,000 steps. My mobility has increased, but frustratedly I still have difficulty getting up from the floor. Kneeling hurts my knees. My ankles, and the soles of my feet hurt. Most of the pain in my feet can be alleviated with the use of orthotics. I haven't found a suitable send me as yet so I live in my runners and wear birkenstocks in my house at all times - NO bare fee

The procedure

My appointment is at 9:30. I went to the same location as the previous day and was told to go to bay one, just a couple doors down the small mall. The door at bay one lists five the doctors names and the Kinesiologist. I got there at 9am and was taken into a treatment room almost immediately. In my brief time in the waiting room another couple emerged from a treatment room. The man was moving around, pacing and making statements about being stiff. I said "you are making me nervous I didn't think the stiffness was to occur for a few days ". He responded that it wasn't bad, but he had five joints done - and didn't take any laughing gas. He had a 9 hour drive ahead of him. In the treatment room the RN Linda took my vitals signs and explained what would be happening this morning. She answered all the questions I had. Linda was very warm and friendly and it was easy to share all my concerns.  She indicated that the pain usually is not too great for most people b