Skip to main content

My history

I'm about try Stem Cell rejuvenation for my arthritis. For those who are considering such, I thought documenting my journey may  give some others some Hope - if it works, and some additional things to consider if it doesn't work. However, I intend on giving some background on my attempts to manage arthritis up to now.

I was either 14 or 15 years old when I was first was told I had arthritis. My chiropractor said the discomfort in my back was due to arthritis and he could see some curvature in the spine. Regular chiropractic treatments have helped alleviate the pain and stiffness frequently throughout the years.

So I have had  arthritis for 44 years. Luckily, my arthritis has never been debilitating. Even during my most extreme periods of pain and stiffness, I have been able to work and do almost everything I needed too. However, during the past few years kneeling, playing with the grandchildren, and walking or climbing has become too difficult.

"Osteoarthritis (OA) is a type of joint disease that results from breakdown of joint cartilage and underlying bone.[5] The most common symptoms are joint pain and stiffness. Initially, symptoms may occur only following exercise, but over time may become constant. Other symptoms may include joint swelling, decreased range of motion, and when the back is affected weakness or numbness of the arms and legs."Wikipedia .

When I was 16 or 17 years old my doctor prescribed Voltarin. I took this for perhaps 4 or 5 years. It never felt like it made a difference, but given I was hurting, it seemed I should continue taking it. I was also diagnosed as having chronic pyelonenephritis. as a young child. I frequently was in the hospital and regularly took sulpha drugs often being prescribed 6 months as a time. The Voltarin and Sulpha drugs seemed to create other problems. I began to have stomach problems, digestive problems, heart problems, etc. I then was told I had a stomach ulcer and was given an additional prescription for that. The amount of pills I was taking per day overwhelmed me. Just looking at the pills regularly brought me to tears. The year I turned 20 I had my second child. I felt exhausted daily. I had two small children and a marriage that was failing. I could make it though the work day, but as soon as I got home and began to relax the pain and exhaustion took over. My marriage ended when I was 22.

When I was 24 or 25 yrs old I developed shingles and was given a topical ointment. A coworker suggested a vitamin regime. I went to the library to read up on it and decided to give it a try. A week later I returned to the doctor and he said he must have misdiagnosed the shingles as it would not have gone away so quickly. I felt it was the vitamin regime that made the difference.  I decided then to throw away any medicine that I did not feel was truly benefiting me.

Osteoarthritis is a chronic (long-term) disease. There is no cure, but treatments are available to manage symptoms. Long-term management of the disease will include several factors:
  • Managing symptoms, such as pain, stiffness and swelling
  • Improving joint mobility and flexibility
  • Maintaining a healthy weight
  • Getting enough of exercise 
Arthristis.org

Exercise is important to manage arthritis. It is hard to find the balance between enough and too much Unfortunately, I have a job working for the government, that is primarily sitting or driving.

Throughout the years I have gone to the gym sporadically. A month or two,  6 months once and over a year on one occasion. Most of the time the exercise helped. I truly felt better but really did not like going to the gym. I couldn't use the treadmill or the bicycles as that inflamed my joints. However that wasn't the prime reason I didn't continue the gym - I really didn't enjoy it.

I did enjoy yoga and went daily regularly for years but many of the standing poses were held too long. Occasionally i would put my shoes on,  take them off, put on, take off, on , off. After a particular long session , 2.5 hours, my feet hurt for many days after even though my back felt better than it had in years. I quit structured yoga. Occasionally I still use some of the stretches.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shockwave Treatments

I have had great successes with what may be considered non-traditional medical treatments. I was disappointed after my first shockwave treatment that I did not feel any benefit - even though I fully understood that usually one treatment is not enough. I had a second treatment and then a third. After the third I had to wait for three weeks before a subsequent treatment could occur. After the second treatment, I had no pain one morning, but this lasted only a brief time - by noon, everything felt the same. However, after the third treatment, both feet were very sore - much sorer than normal. This I was not expecting!!!!! I feel that this extra pain lasted for approximately 10 days, and then everything was back to the normal level of pain. During this time, I had an appointment with Dr. Gurgal - Podiatrist and shared with him my frustrations. It is already May - both feet have been hurting since October. Sometimes, the pain keeps me up at night - I can't walk any distances, I

Four months

It's been four months since the stem cell injections. I think there is still improvements happening. I still don't have any pain on the top of my left foot or right knee. My pain in my hips has continued to be reduced.  My pain in the left knee is still significantly less than it had been before. I am still leaving my name on the list for a left knee replacement.  But I'm still hoping I can get another couple of years with reduced pain. I did not do well with the excerises- I rarely did them. I'm still attempting to walk as much as possible and never less than 3,000 steps a day ... aiming for 6,000 steps. My mobility has increased, but frustratedly I still have difficulty getting up from the floor. Kneeling hurts my knees. My ankles, and the soles of my feet hurt. Most of the pain in my feet can be alleviated with the use of orthotics. I haven't found a suitable send me as yet so I live in my runners and wear birkenstocks in my house at all times - NO bare fee

The procedure

My appointment is at 9:30. I went to the same location as the previous day and was told to go to bay one, just a couple doors down the small mall. The door at bay one lists five the doctors names and the Kinesiologist. I got there at 9am and was taken into a treatment room almost immediately. In my brief time in the waiting room another couple emerged from a treatment room. The man was moving around, pacing and making statements about being stiff. I said "you are making me nervous I didn't think the stiffness was to occur for a few days ". He responded that it wasn't bad, but he had five joints done - and didn't take any laughing gas. He had a 9 hour drive ahead of him. In the treatment room the RN Linda took my vitals signs and explained what would be happening this morning. She answered all the questions I had. Linda was very warm and friendly and it was easy to share all my concerns.  She indicated that the pain usually is not too great for most people b