Skip to main content

Radial Shockwave Therapy

I scheduled an appointment with the Chiropractor whom my doctor had told me had the Radial Shockwave machine. This is my Chiropractor whom I've been seeing for more than 20 years. My family consider him a friend and trust his opinion in all medical matters. Dr. Henbid indicated the Physiotherapist in his office does the Shockwave treatment. He gave me a thorough chiropractic session and also looked up my x-ray of my right foot. He described the heel spur as a "doosey". Although this may not have been the most medical way of explaining it, it did make me feel better as now did not feel that I was exaggerating my pain. I later arranged to get a copy of this x-ray to take it to my Podiatrist.


The following week, I made an appointment to see the PhysioTherapist, Pat Irwin, for my first Shockwave Treatment and was told not to use any anti-inflammatory agents for 48hrs prior to my appointment.

The machine they have is the Storz Medical Masterplus MP100. The handout Pat Irwin provided me with says; "A shockwave is an intense, but very short energy wave travelling faster than the speed of sound. The basic technology involved with extracorporeal shockwave is not new. It has no side effects, is a non-surgical treatment and is available at a reasonable cost. Non invasive and promotes accelerated recovery to injured soft tissue, bone, heel and joint pain. Coverage is available from most insurance coverage under Physiotherapy or Chiropractic treatment. Sessions are generally 20-30 minutes in length, and permanent relief typically begins about 72 hours following treatment. It is recommended to do 3-6 treatments."


Pat Irwin, further indicated she has had several patients, but so far only one has needed more than three treatments. Pat indicated the pain is generally just during the treatment and is tolerable for most people. There may be some discomfort for awhile afterwards, but it is usually not significant. She recommends using heat to alleviate any discomfort and strongly recommended that no anti-inflammatory agents be used, as that will stop all the benefits.

The treatment took about 15-20 minutes. There was some discomfort but nothing significant. Pat started at one level and when it appeared to be too much discomfort so she lowered the frequency.  As my tolerance increased she increased the level. I could feel the vibration of the lazer and occasionally I could feel some pain. The sound of the machine is like rat-a-tat-rat continuously. My instructions were to take it easy for the day, use heat - not ice and do not use any anti- inflammatories. I did not feel any discomfort or benefits. I made another appointment the following week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shockwave Treatments

I have had great successes with what may be considered non-traditional medical treatments. I was disappointed after my first shockwave treatment that I did not feel any benefit - even though I fully understood that usually one treatment is not enough. I had a second treatment and then a third. After the third I had to wait for three weeks before a subsequent treatment could occur. After the second treatment, I had no pain one morning, but this lasted only a brief time - by noon, everything felt the same. However, after the third treatment, both feet were very sore - much sorer than normal. This I was not expecting!!!!! I feel that this extra pain lasted for approximately 10 days, and then everything was back to the normal level of pain. During this time, I had an appointment with Dr. Gurgal - Podiatrist and shared with him my frustrations. It is already May - both feet have been hurting since October. Sometimes, the pain keeps me up at night - I can't walk any distances, I

Four months

It's been four months since the stem cell injections. I think there is still improvements happening. I still don't have any pain on the top of my left foot or right knee. My pain in my hips has continued to be reduced.  My pain in the left knee is still significantly less than it had been before. I am still leaving my name on the list for a left knee replacement.  But I'm still hoping I can get another couple of years with reduced pain. I did not do well with the excerises- I rarely did them. I'm still attempting to walk as much as possible and never less than 3,000 steps a day ... aiming for 6,000 steps. My mobility has increased, but frustratedly I still have difficulty getting up from the floor. Kneeling hurts my knees. My ankles, and the soles of my feet hurt. Most of the pain in my feet can be alleviated with the use of orthotics. I haven't found a suitable send me as yet so I live in my runners and wear birkenstocks in my house at all times - NO bare fee

The procedure

My appointment is at 9:30. I went to the same location as the previous day and was told to go to bay one, just a couple doors down the small mall. The door at bay one lists five the doctors names and the Kinesiologist. I got there at 9am and was taken into a treatment room almost immediately. In my brief time in the waiting room another couple emerged from a treatment room. The man was moving around, pacing and making statements about being stiff. I said "you are making me nervous I didn't think the stiffness was to occur for a few days ". He responded that it wasn't bad, but he had five joints done - and didn't take any laughing gas. He had a 9 hour drive ahead of him. In the treatment room the RN Linda took my vitals signs and explained what would be happening this morning. She answered all the questions I had. Linda was very warm and friendly and it was easy to share all my concerns.  She indicated that the pain usually is not too great for most people b